Saturday, December 30, 2006

Beauty for ashes

One of the most sobering experiences I've had in a while occured today when I was privileged to take part in a wedding ceremony including a rich banquet. What a special opportunity it is to be a groomsman as you can take in everything - watching the bride in full white approaching the stage trying to discern her emotions, hearing every word the minister speaks and quietly sharing the spotlight with two people on the greatest day of their lives.
It is definitely one of those "goodness of God" (Ps 52:1, Rom 2:4) experiences that causes me to want to repent and live my life better, more honoring to God and more focused on the needs of others rather than myself. Overhearing the vows and commitments about treasuring each other through any life situation, makes me question my faithfulness (or lack thereof) and dedication to the Lord.
I am that bride that Jesus Christ is waiting for - He desires to see me walk down that aisle in all white - smiling ear-to-ear. Why won't I get ready for the wedding???

Rev 3:4-5
You have a few names even in Sardis who have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with Me in white, for they are worthy. He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.

Rev 3:18
I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

Rev 7:13-14
Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, "Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?" And I said to him, "Sir, you know." So he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Rev 19:8 (kjv)
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

No comments: